Thursday, October 6, 2016

How to Make Money at Home as a Freelance Writer

Make money from home by becoming a freelance writer. This post shows you HOW to do it!

I've shared several ideas about ways you can make money from home. I've talked about surveys, selling items on Ebay and even creating a blog.  One of the items on our list is freelance writing.  

Today I am thrilled that I get to share an interview with Holly Johnson.  She is a professional freelance writer.  I hope you pick up some great tips from her and can then start your own journey!

Holly Johnson is a freelance writer.  She work has been featured in many on-line publications including The Simple Dollar, Lending Tree and U.S. News & World Report.

During her time freelancing, she has mastered the art of finding not only the best writing opportunities, but also those which are the most lucrative.  She has actually created a course which anyone can follow, where she shares these secrets with you.  The course is called Earn More Writing.

Why should someone try freelancing?

Freelancing can be a great way to unleash your creative side and earn money in your spare time. If you're a good writer already, you might be surprised by how much you can earn writing web content on the web. And despite what anyone says, jobs are plentiful and all over the place.

You just need to know how to find them.

Another reason to try freelancing: It's almost risk-free. All you need to get started is a computer, an internet connection, and an email account. These are things most people have anyway.

Can anyone do this?

Can you write? If so, you can write for a living. The most important thing to remember is, you must be able to express yourself in a smart and readable way. Having good research skills and an eye for detail can also help you earn and keep the type of jobs you want.

Also remember, your writing will improve over time if you practice enough. Once you land a few "starter jobs," you can increase the caliber of your writing over the weeks and months. All it takes is perseverance, a lot of patience, and some knowledge of where to find those first jobs in the first place. Of course, all of these concepts are covered in my course!

Do you have to be a great writer to freelance?

Honestly, no. It certainly helps, but you don't have to be the world's best writer to get freelance jobs at all. Especially when it comes to "beginner jobs," you can find work pretty easily no matter your skill level.

If you want to earn a lot of money, on the other hand, being an excellent writer is key. Still, the best thing you can do is practice with smaller jobs and build your skills along the way. Over time, everyone gets better!

Is this something you can do in your part-time?

You can definitely freelance in your spare time. Although I have been a writer for many years, I didn't start freelancing for side income until 2011. At the time, I worked anywhere from 40 – 50 hours per week!

The great thing about freelancing is that you can normally do it on your own timeline. When I created content and worked full-time, I would work on my side hustle in the morning or on weekends. As long as you get the work done and turn it in on time, it doesn't matter which hours you work.

This is a huge plus for working parents or people who take care of kids full-time. There are very few part-time jobs that let you work any hours you want and from the comfort of your own home!

What does it cost to get started?

The best part about freelancing is that the start-up costs are minimal. It helps to have a blog of your own, but the start-up costs there are only a few hundred dollars per year. And really, you don't even need a blog to give it a whirl.

What you really need is a good work ethic and the drive to succeed. Beyond those qualities, you need a computer and an internet connection. That's it, and that's no joke.

What is the average income one might expect to earn for the articles the write?  

Most new writers can expect to earn $50 – $100 for their content, but it goes up quickly from there. Over time, you should be able to earn $200 – $1,000 per piece of online content you create. I started in the $75 – $150 range, but earn on the very high end now. It all depends on the type of work you get, your level of experience, and the rates you can negotiate yourself.

What has being a freelance writer allowed you to do?

Working as a blogger and freelancer has allowed me to build the kind of lifestyle I always wanted. Where I once had 15 – 20 personal days off each year. I am now able to take as much vacation as I want. Where I once had to dress up for work and commute both ways, I'm now able to work anywhere no matter how I look.

Because I'm the one in charge of my time, I'm able to spend a lot more time with my kids. I get them off and on the bus each day, spend all of their school breaks with them, and take time off with them any time I want. I never had that kind of flexibility in my old job.

Do you have one amazing tip you could share with our readers (which may or may not be in your course)?

My biggest tip is to think outside of the box when it comes to the type of work you'll accept. Far and away, one of my biggest sources of income is ghostwriting. Few people consider the prospect of writing speeches and content for other, busier people, yet this is a thriving business. Plus, you can make bank doing it!

Another tip to consider: Ask yourself which of your hobbies could lead to paid work. I cover how to find your "niche" thoroughly in my course (along with ghostwriting), but I feel too few people realize how important this is. Once you know what your niche is, you can figure out how to get jobs in that niche. Too many people fail to consider their niche, then fail because they try to do too many things. For most writers, finding a niche is key.

If you feel that freelance writing might be a good fit for you, I would highly recommend you check out Holly's Earn More Writing Course.


Source: How to Make Money at Home as a Freelance Writer

No comments:

Post a Comment